It’s spring. Whether in your own garden, or in your grocery store, the first stock of fresh green veggies is arriving. Chives are a lovely way to create an herb butter. And this butter is versatile: perfect to spread on bread, or put on that backed potato or to top a steak with. Naturally, the actual ingredients here are yours to play. What and how much are up to your imagination. As always, fresh herbs are absolutely the best.
Yield: Generous ½ Cup
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 4 teaspoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh fennel fronds
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh chives
- 2 pinches of kosher salt
- 2 pinches of freshly ground black pepper
In a medium bowl, mix the butter, parsley, fennel fronds, chives, salt, and pepper. Refrigerate, covered, until needed. The butter will keep in an airtight container for 2 weeks in the fridge and 3 months in the freezer.
Source: The Blue Ribbon Cookbook by Bruce and Eric Bromberg
Photo Credit: Jennifer Davick