- 1 cup half and half
- ¾ cup sugar
- pinch of salt
- 2 cups heavy cream
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup malt powder
- 6 large egg yolks
- 2 cups malted milk balls, coarsely chopped
- Warm the half-and-half, sugar, and salt in a medium saucepan. In a large bowl, whisk together the heavy cream, vanilla, and malt powder and set a mesh strainer on top.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks. Slowly pour the warm mixture into the egg yolks, whisking constantly, then scrape the warm egg yolks back into the saucepan.
- Stir the mixture constantly over medium heat with a heatproof spatula, scraping the bottom as you stir, until the mixture thickens and coats the spatula. Pour the custard through the strainer and whisk it into the malted milk mixture. Stir until cool over an ice bath.
- Chill the mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator, then freeze it in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions. As you remove the ice cream from the machine, fold in the chopped malted milk balls.
Yield: 1 1/2 quarts
Author: David Lebovitz
Source: The Perfect Scoop