Here’s a blog from Suzi. It’s all about vegetables: no chocolate or high proof alcohol. As a concession to my husband, this recipe does include wine and sugar so I think Brian would approve. This recipe is one of my absolute favorites, and my staff loves it, and clients who comes to CBTB rave about it. This dish offers sweetness and sour topped with caraway seeds…perfect.
Our client tonight here in Tribeca wanted a very special meal so we served them these three courses. With all the inherent richness recipes including the delicate venison, people left talking about the cabbage. It must be something about the holiday season. Or the chill factor being at zero. Here’s their menu:
- Glazed Scallops with Almond Butter Sauce
- Pistachio-Crusted Venison Au Jus with Mashed Root Vegetables and Braised Red Cabbage Confit
- Chocolate Pecan Tartlets with Maple Ice Cream
And here’s the dish they loved.
Braised Red Cabbage Confit
Yield: 6 Servings
- 1 small head red cabbage, quartered and cored
- 1 medium red beet
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup sugar
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 bouquet garni (thyme, rosemary, parsley and bay leaf)
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- ½ cup freshly squeezed orange juice or orange concentrate
- ½ cup dry red wine
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Slice the cabbage into ¼-inch wide ribbons and place in a large bowl. Peel the beet and grate it on the large holes of a box grater. Add the grated beet, vinegar, and sugar to the cabbage and mix until well combined. Set aside for 30 minutes.
Melt 3 tablespoons of the butter in a large deep sauté pan over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add the marinated cabbage mixture and bouquet garni and cook for 10 minutes.
Add the orange juice and wine and simmer until the cabbage is tender and the liquid has reduced by half, about 15 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper and stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter.
Recipe Source: Fresh from the Market by Laurent Tourondel